SEEFOR 3 (2): 115-121
Inventory of Green Spaces and Woody Plants in the Urban Landscape in Ariogala
Lina Straigytė 1*, Tadas Vaidelys 1
1 Faculty of Forest science and Ecology, Aleksandras Stulginskis University, Kaunas distr., Lithuania
* Corresponding author: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
STRAIGYTĖ L, VAIDELYS T 2012 Inventory of Green Spaces and Woody Plants in the Urban Landscape in Ariogala. South-east Eur for 3 (2): 115-121. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15177/seefor.12-13
Background and Purpose: Regulation of urban greenery design, management and protection was approved in 2008 in Lithuania after the Green Space Law was passed, allowing protection of public green spaces and woody plants. Protection of these resources first requires an inventory, and we have created a digital database that will help in management of urban green spaces.
Material and Methods: An inventory of green spaces and woody plants was conducted in the public urban territory of Ariogala, using GIS technology. A digital cartographic database was created using ArcGis 9.1 software.
Results and Conclusion: Most of the woody plants in the survey area are deciduous trees, and the survey results highlighted the major green space management problems. Often, planted trees grow under power lines, and their crowns touch the power cables. Near blocks of flats, trees are often in the wrong place-planted too close to buildings, trees shade windows and their roots heave pavers and penetrate building foundations. According to the inventory, street trees sustain the most damage, most commonly showing injuries on their trunks and roots. Leaves of Aesculus hipocastanum L. show massive damage from Cameraria ohridella Deschka & Dimić, and Tilia cordata Mill. are damaged by Cercospora microsora Sacc. T. cordata is a favourite city tree, but is susceptible to infestation and when damaged appears unsightly, ending its vegetation period very early. The inventory of green spaces also showed that there are sufficient public parks.
Keywords: street trees, GIS, parks, condition, green spaces
- LITHUANIAN NEWS 2007 Green spaces Law of Republic of Lithuania, 80-3215 (in Lithuanian)
- LITHUANIAN NEWS 2008 Monitoring program of greenery condition, 10-351 (in Lithuanian)
- ŽEIMAVIČIUS K, SNIEŠKIENĖ V, STANKEVIČIENĖ A, VAISVALAVIČIUS R 2011 The methodology of town greenery monitoring program tasks and expected results: case study of Alytus city (in Lithuanian). Scripta Horti Botanici Universitatis Vytauti Magni 15: 145-154
- STRAVINSKIENĖ V 2010 Monitoring and assessment of tree health condition in Kaunas city environment. J Environ Eng Landsc 18 (3): 217-225. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3846/jeelm.2010.25
- LITHUANIAN NEWS 2008 Rules of green spaces and woody plants inventory and accounting, D1-5 (in Lithuanian)
- NAVASAITIS M 2004 Dendrologija, Vilnius, p 856 (in Lithuanian)
- LITHUANIAN NEWS 2007 Procedure for examination of woody plant condition, D1-673 (in Lithuanian)
- STRAIGYTĖ L, ŽALKAUSKAS R, PILKAUSKAS M, SASNAUSKIENĖ J 2009 Diversity and Condition of Woody Plants in Raseiniai Green Areas. Rural Development 2009, Proceedings 4 (2): 201-204
- McPHERSON ED, NOWAK D, HEISLER G, GRIMMOND S, SOUCH C, GRANT R, ROWNTREE R 1997 Quantifying urban forest structure, function and value: the Chicago Urban Forest Climate Project. Urban Ecosystems 1 (1): 49-61 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1014350822458
- BAČKAITIS J 2011 Decade of green space inventory in Lithuania: results and problems. In: Greenery inventory, design of public spaces, seminar presentation in ASU, 2011 04 01 (in Lithuanian)
- STRAIGYTĖ L 2009 Diversity and condition of woody plants in Ariogala. Proceedings of the 15 International scientific-practice conference „Human and nature safety 2009“, Volume 3: 125-128 (in Lithuanian)
- DRINGELIS L 2001 Legal and normative documents to regulate urban green spaces system (in Lithuanian). Town planning and architecture 25 (2): 63-70
- DRINGELIS L 2005 Territory klassification of urban green areas – fundament to plan urban green areas system (in Lithuanian). Town planning and architecture 29 (4): 182-190
- JAKOVLEVAS-MATECKIS K 2006 Problems of urban green areas and their social function (in Lithuanian). Town planning and architecture 30 (1): 3-14. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13921630.2006.10697056
- PILKAUSKAS R 2000 Green spaces partition by urban planning. Lithuanian landscape value and the oneness: Kaunas University of Technology, Conference material, pp 64-68 (in Lithuanian)
- LITHUANIAN NEWS 2007 Green spaces Norms for recreational purposes D1-694 (in Lithuanian)
- CHIESURA A 2004 The role of urban parks for the sustainable city. Landscape Urban Plan 68 (1): 129-138. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2003.08.003
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).