SEEFOR 2 (2): 73-79
Original scientific paper
Perception of Villagers from Ali Koch and Rastani Towards Forest Management Performed by the PE "Macedonian Forests"
Makedonka Stojanovska 1*, Aneta Blazevska1, Vladimir Stojanovski 2, Vaska Nedanovska1
1 University St. “Kiril and Metodij” - Faculty of Forestry, Skopje, Macedonia
2 PhD student, BOKU University, Vienna, Austria
* Corresponding author: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
STOJANOVSKA M, BLAZEVSKA A, STOJANOVSKI V, NEDANOVSKA N 2011 Perception of Villagers from Ali Koch and Rastani Towards Forest Management Performed by the PE "Macedonian Forests". South-east Eur for 2 (2): 73-79. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.11-08
Background and Purpose: This paper describes the perception of the local population from two villages Ali Koch and Rastani regarding the forest management of the Public Enterprise (PE) Macedonian Forests.
Material and Methods: For the purpose of this research а multistage cluster sampling had been applied, where municipalities of Radovis and Veles were randomly selected from all municipalities in the country. These chosen municipalities were divided into areas (settlements), where each settlement represents a different cluster. Settlements were further divided into smaller areas - houses that are located closer or further to the forest. All households near the forests were approached and survey of 93 interviews was done.
Results and Conclusion: Results showed that perceptions of the villagers from both villages in the Republic are almost the same. According to the obtained results perception of the local population towards management of the PE Macedonian Forests is not very satisfying, because most of them think that the enterprise activities are mostly focused on harvesting. Results provide information that can be helpful for the managers to improve the management of the enterprise, which can lead towards better perception of the forestry in the Republic.
Keywords: local perception, forest management, PE Macedonian Forests
- RAMETSTEINER E, EICHLER L, BERG J 2009 Regional Economic Analysis - Shaping Forest Communication in the European Union: Public Perceptions of Forests and Forestry". Rotterdam, p 157. Avaialble at: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/fore/publi/public-perception/report_en.pdf (Accesed: 14 January 2012)
- SOW M, ANDERSSON J 1996 Perceptions and Classification of woodland by Malinké villagers near Bamako, Mali. Unasylva 47 (186): 22-27
- THOMPSON H 2000 Sustainable Forest Management: The role of USDA Forest Service. North-eastern area and State forestry agencies, p 28. Avaialble at: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/sustain/role/roles.pdf (Accesed: 17 January 2012)
- ANDERSSON K, ORTIZ-CHOUR H 1996 FAO and indigenous groups. Unasylva 47 (186): 28-32
- GUTHIGA PM 2008 Understanding local communities perception of existing forest management regime of a Kenyan rainforests. International Journal of Social Forestry 1(2): 145-166
- MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE, FORESTRY AND WATER ECONOMY 2006 Strategy for sustainable development of forestry in the Republic of Macedonia. Available at: http://www.fao.org/docs/up/easypol/580/4-2_strategy-macedonia_173en.pdf (Accesed: 13 January 2012)
- STOJANOVSKA M 2006 Working conditions and their influence on the number of employees in the forestry in Republic of Macedonia. Dissertation, University of Forestry, p 148
- FAO 2007 Public perception of forest industry and environment. Advisory Comitee on Paper and Wood Products, Shangai, China, p 32. Available at: http://www.fao.org/forestry/1271502bb61b57cf6eeb4eb57c45078b496970.pdf (Accessed: 13 January 2012)
- CONAL DWS 2009 The relationship of landscape visualizations to public perception of sustainable forest management practices, Forestry Undergraduate Essays/Thesis, University of British Columbia, FRST 497, p 28
- THOMAS T, CONNELLI M, KAUFMANN C, ROTTMAN E, STEPHENSON R 2011 Public perception of forests: Comparing Europe to United States. FE 456 International Forestry, Oregon, p 8
- POLOVSKY A 2011 Challenges and Opportunities in Forestry: Ukraine and Former Soviet Countries. International Forestry 456, Oregon State University
- UHRIG PA 1999 Public Perceptions of the Forest Products Industry in the United States. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Research paper, p 5
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).