SEEFOR 3 (1): 33-40
Original scientific paper
Practice-Oriented Yield Table for White Poplar Stands Growing under Sandy Soil Conditions in Hungary
Károly Rédei 1*, Zsolt Keserű 1, János Rásó 1
1 Forest Research Institute, Püspökladány Experimental Station, Farkasziget 3, Püspökladány, Hungary
* Corresponding author: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
RÉDEI K, KESERŰ ZS, RÁSÓ J 2012 Practice-Oriented Yield Table for White Poplar Stands Growing under Sandy Soil Conditions in Hungary. South-east Eur for 3 (1): 33-40. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15177/seefor.12-04
Background and Purpose: White poplar (Populus alba L.) and its most important natural hybrid, the grey poplar (Populus x canescens SM.) are native tree species in Hungary, covering 3.2% of the forested area. Thanks to their favourite silvicultural and growth characteristics as well as the wood utilization possibilities, their present area is increasing continuously. The most important task ahead of Hungarian poplar growers is to improve the quality and to increase the quantity of poplar stands for wood production. To determine their growth rate and yield as exactly as possible, a yield table has been.
Material and Methods: Chapman – Richards function with three parameters was successfully used as a growth function for constructing the height growth model. The white poplar yield table was constructed from data gathered on 50 permanent and 40 temporary plots (cca. 500-1000 m2). The age of the stands varied between 5 and 45 years. In the course of the stand surveys the key stand characteristics were measured, and then, on the basis of data collected, were calculated such major stand structure features as the average height, diameter (DBH), volume, basal area and stem number given separately for the main (remaining), secondary (removal) and total stands per hectare.
Results and Conclusion: The numerical (tabulated) yield table of normative nature presents data given to six yield classes (base age: 25 years) including the most important stand structural and yield features expressing in terms of main stand, removing stand (which can be removed in tending operations) and the total stand. It is based on the Hungarian applied tending operations’ practice. The published yield table has already been utilized in the field of the relevant forest inventory as well.
Keywords: white poplar (Populus alba L.), Chapman-Richards function, yield table, Hungary
- KOPECKY F 1962 Poplar breeding. In: Keresztesi B (ed) Poplar Growing in Hungary. Mezőgazdasági Kiadó, Budapest, pp 83-117
- KOPECKY F 1978 Cross-breeding. In: Keresztesi B (ed) Poplar and Willow Growing. Mezőgazdasági Kiadó, Budapest, pp 47-65
- RÉDEI K 1991 Improvement of Leuce-poplars growing in Hungary. Erdészeti Kutatások 83: 304-312
- RÉDEI K 1994 Yield of promising P. alba provenances on the Danube-Tisza region sands. Erdészeti Kutatások 84: 81-90
- RÉDEI K 2000 Early performance of promising white poplar (Populus alba) clones in sandy ridges between the rivers Danube and Tisza in Hungary. Forestry 73 (4): 407-413. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/forestry/73.4.407
- SOPP L, KOLOZS L (eds) 2000 Volume Tables. ÁESZ, Budapest, pp 58-64
- HUSCH B, MILLER C I, BEERS TW 1982 Forest Mensuration. Ronald Press, New York
- AVERY TE, BURKHART HE 1994 Forest Measurements. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York
- LAAR A, AKCA A 1997 Forest Mensuration. Cuvillier Verlag, Göttingen
- RÖHLE H 1999 Datenbank gestützte Modellierung von Bestandesköhenkurven (in German). Cbl für das ges Forstwesen 116 (1-2): 35-46
- PRETZSCH H 2009 Forest Dynamics, Growth and Yield. Springer
- RÉDEI K 2003 Black locust (Robinia pseudacacaia L.) Growing in Hungary. Publications of the Hungarian Forest Research Institute, Budapest, p 70
- RICHARDS FJ 1959 A flexible growth function for empirical use. Journal of Experimental Botany 10: 290-306. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/10.2.290
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).