SEEFOR 2 (1): 13-21
Original scientific paper
Analyses of the Competitiveness of Forest Industry in the Republic of Macedonia
Nenad Savić 1, Makedonka Stojanovska 2*, Vladimir Stojanovski 3
1 younger researcher, FOPER II
2 University St. “Kiril and Metodij”, Faculty of Forestry, Skopje, Macedonia
3 PhD student, BOKU, Wien, Austria
* Corresponding author: e-mail:
SAVIĆ N, STOJANOVSKA M, STOJANOVSKI V 2011 Analyses of the Competitiveness of Forest Industry in the Republic of Macedonia. South-east Eur for 2 (1): 13-21. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.11-02
Cited by: CrossRef Google Scholar
Background and Purpose: This paper gives a thorough picture of the competitiveness characteristics of the Macedonian forest based industry for the period 1993 to 2006, from its independence to present times. The main purpose of this study is to analyze competitiveness of Macedonian forest industry and the factors that influences the creation and development of competitive advantages.
Material and Methods: The study is based on theoretical tool of the Porter`s ''diamond'' model of the national competitiveness using four linked factors like: factor conditions, demand factor, firm’s strategy, rivalry and structure and the forth one, related and supported industries. The method used is case study which includes collection of quantitative data, gathered through documentation, archival records, academic literature, publications, journals and websites.
Results and Conclusion: The analyzes has shown that the main strengths of Macedonian forest based industry are due to the existence of favorable factor conditions, as a cheap labor and energy cost-compared with region, good geographic location and relatively decent transport infrastructure. Weaknesses come from the lack of infrastructural investments (lack of capital), inappropriate management strategies, outdated machinery, low productivity and low value added products. To achieve better results industry should be organised in a better way and further investments in modern technologies and human resources are necessary.
Keywords: forest industry, competitiveness, demand, firm condition, national market
- PORTER M 1990 The Competitive advantage of nations Houndmills, London
- Ministry of agriculture, forestry and water economy 2006Strategy for sustainable development of forestry in Republic of Macedonia. Available at: http://www.mzsv.gov.mk/strategija/54 (Accessed: 11 December 2008)
- World Bank statistical review 2006 (Accessed 20 November 2008)
- State Statistical office of Macedonia. Available at: http://www.stat.gov.mk/statistiki.asp?ss=10.03&rbs (Accessed: Accessed: 10 December 2008)
- Forests police - Ministry of agriculture, forestry and water economy. Available at: http://www.mzsv.gov.mk/index.php?lang=mk (Accessed: Accessed: 11 December 2008)
- Public Enterprise ''Makedonski šumi''. Available at: http://mkdsumi.com.mk/en/ekz.asp (Accessed: 18 January 2009)
- Food and agriculture organization of the United Nations – FAOSTAT. Available at: www.fao.org (Accessed: 14 March 2009)
- UNECE trade and timber division: timber bulletins. Available at: http://www.unece.org/timber/tcpubl.htm (Accessed: 11 December 2008)
- UNIDO (United Nations Industrial development organization) Industrial Database. Available at: http://www.esds.ac.uk/international/access/access.asp (Accessed: 13 October 2008)
- EU questionnaire, industry 2005. Available at: http://www.sei.gov.mk/download/Questionnaire/3-15%20-%20Industrial%20policy.pdf (Accessed: 08 February 2009)
- EUROSTAT: Forestry statistics pocketbook. Available at: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_OFFPUB/KS-76-06-322/EN/KS-76-06-322-EN.PDF (Accessed: 08 February 2009)
- National bank of the Republic of Macedonia: financial reviews. Available at: http://www.nbrm.gov.mk/default-en.asp?ItemID (Accessed: 08 March 2009)
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).