- Download PDF - 

SEEFOR 1 (2): 91-98
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.10-10

Preliminary communication

First Results of Monitoring of Stand Structure Changes in Unmanaged Beech Stands in NP Plitvice Lakes

Vladimir Novotny 1*, Ivan Balenović 1, Tomislav Dubravac 2, Dijana Vuletić 3, Stjepan Dekanić 2

1 Croatian Forest Research Institute, Division for Forest Management and Forest Economics, Trnjanska cesta 35, HR-10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
2 Croatian Forest Research Institute, Division for Silviculture, Cvjetno naselje 41, HR-10 450 Jastrebarsko, Croatia
3 Croatian Forest Research Institute, Director, Cvjetno naselje 41, HR-10 450 Jastrebarsko, Croatia                                  

* Corresponding author: e-mail:  

Citation:
NOVOTNY V, BALENOVIĆ I, DUBRAVAC T, VULETIĆ D, DEKANIĆ S 2010 First Results of Monitoring of Stand Structure Changes in Unmanaged Beech Stands in NP Plitvice Lakes. South-east Eur for 1 (2): 91-98. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.10-10 

Cited by:        CrossRef        Google Scholar

Abstract

Background and Purpose: It is possible to monitor and study the natural growth and development of the forest ecosystems in the example of protected forest stands, which were excluded from management, and which are not under a negative influence of human activity. Therefore the aim of the research through the repeated measurements is to estimate the stand structure development on the Medveđak permanent experimental plot in the Plitvice Lakes national park area. In this paper we presented the first preliminary results of established monitoring, i.e. comparison of results of stand structure elements between two measurements (1998 and 2008). Furthermore, obtained results were compared with data from growth-yield tables for common beech stands similar characteristics as researched stand. In this case data from growth-yield tables present managed pure beech stands.
Material and Methods: The permanent experimental plot was set in 1998 in the natural stand of mountain beech forest (Lamio orvale-Fagetum sylvaticae Ht. 1938). It is in rectangular shape, dimensions 100×100m, with subplot 60×60 m and 30×30 m. The plot is founded according to the experimental plot setting methodology (Dubravac & Novotny, 1992 and Novotny, 1997) extended on the ICP Forest workgroup demand. Tree crown damage assessment was repeated in 2003, and in June 2008 another measurement of basic stand structural elements was done. 
Results and Conclusion: The results in this paper show the development of the observed structural elements of the pure beech stand in the natural conditions without the management activities. According to the results of stand structure development (shape of diameter distribution, number of trees, stand basal area and volume) and results obtained in other research at the same plot [9] (number, vitality and quality of beech young growth) it can be concluded that our stand is developing towards the optimum phase of the secondary virgin forest. Furthermore, obtained results (N/ha, G/ha, V/ha) show discrepancies in relation to managed pure beech stand from growth-yield tables. Decrease in the number of trees, increase of the proportion of dead trees and proportion of significantly damaged trees in the monitoring period indicate the decrease of the stand vitality and health. Therefore, the question arises: Should protected forests today be absolutely left to the natural process of growth, development and dying? Since ten years is a brief period for research and conclusions about structural changes in the stand, further research efforts are necessary. They must be expanded with additional information and data from other permanent experimental plots which are also founded in other special purpose forests within project as well.

Keywords: common beech, protected forest ecosystems, growth and development, stand structure elements 

REFERENCES

1. GLAVAČ V 1999 Uvod u globalnu ekologiju. Državna uprava za zaštitu prirode i okoliša; “Hrvatske šume”, Javno Poduzeće za gospodarenje šumama i šumskim zemljištima u Republici Hrvatskoj, Zagreb, p 211
  2. CESTAR D, HREN V, KOVAČEVIĆ Z, MARTINOVIĆ J, PELCER Z 1976 Ekološko-gospodarski tipovi šuma na području Nacionalnog parka Plitvička jezera. Rad Šumar Inst 50: 1-76
  3. KLEPAC D 1984 Principi uređivanja šuma Nacionalnog Parka "Plitvička jezera". Sumar list 108 (7-8): 319-335
  4. KLEPAC D 1994 Ekološko uređivanje šuma u Nacionalnom Parku "Plitvička jezera". Plitvička jezera nacionalno dobro Hrvatska svjetska baština,  Zagreb, p 69-80
  5. POŠTENJAK K, GRADEČKI M 1994 Stojbinske prilike šuma N.P. "Risnjak". Zbornik radova,  Crni lug, p 34-46
  6. MATIĆ S, ORŠANIĆ M, ANIĆ I 1995 Strukturne osobine šuma otoka Mljeta. Prirodne značajke i društvena revitalizacija otoka Mljeta, Zagreb, p 297-303
  7. MATIĆ S, ORŠANIĆ M, ANIĆ I 1996 Bukove šume Hrvatske i njihovo mjesto u kompleksu šuma središnje i jugoistočne Europe. In: B. Mayer (ed) Unapređenje proizvodnje biomase šumskih ekosustava, Šumarski fakultet Sveučilišta u Zagrebu i Šumarski institut Jastrebarsko, Zagreb, p 113-124
  8. KREJČI V, DUBRAVAC T 2001 Mogućnost obnove šuma Nacionalnih parkova. Rad Šumar Inst 36 (2): 113-122
  9. DUBRAVAC T, KREJČI V, VRBEK B 2004 Stanje strukture i mogućnost prirodne obnove čistih bukovih sastojina u šumskom rezervatu "Medvjeđak". Savjetovanje u povodu 55 godina Nacionalnog parka Plitvička jezera i 25 godina Plitvičkih jezera na listi svjetske prirodne baštine, Plitvička jezera, Plitvički bilten 6: 179-200
  10. VRBEK B, PILAŠ I, ŠOJAT V, MAGDIĆ N 2004 Utjecaj kiselih kiša na šumu i na tlo u Nacionalnom parku Plitvička jezera. Savjetovanje u povodu 55 godina Nacionalnog parka Plitvička jezera i 25 godina Plitvičkih jezera na listi svjetske prirodne baštine,  Plitvička jezera,  Plitvički bilten 6: 141-154
  11. DUBRAVAC T, VULETIĆ D, VRBEK B 2005 Natural reforestation and future of beech and fir forests in the Risnjak NP. Period biol 107: 73-79
  12. DUBRAVAC T, DEKANIĆ S, VULETIĆ D 2006 Stanje šuma bukve i jele u Nacionalnom parku "Risnjak" – aktivna ili pasivna zaštita?. Zbornik radova, Međunarodna naučna konferencija Gazdovanje šumskim ekosistemima Nacionalnih parkova i drugih zaštićenih područja, Jul 05-08, Jahorina-Tjentište, Bosna i Hercegovina, p 191-203
  13. DUBRAVAC T, ČAVLOVIĆ J, ROTH V, VRBEK B, NOVOTNY V, DEKANIĆ S 2007 The structure and possibility of natural regeneration in managed and non-managed beech and fir forests in Croatia. Period biol 109: 21-27
  14. MATIĆ S 2009 Veza između prirodnog gospodarenja i životnih faza u razvoju prašume. Zbornik radova znanstvenog skupa "Prašumski ekosustavi dinarskoga krša i prirodno gospodarenje šumama u Hrvatskoj, HAZU, p 9-19
  15. HREN V 1972 Ramino korito- prašuma bukve. Sumar list 96 (9-10): 315-324.
  16. CESTAR D, HREN V, KOVAČEVIĆ Z, MARTINOVIĆ J, PELCER Z, BEZAK K, KRZNAR A, LINDIĆ V, VRBEK B, KREJČI V 1982 Prirodni šumski rezervat Medveđak. Rad Šumar Inst 50: 1-76
  17. CESTAR D, HREN V, KOVAČEVIĆ Z, MARTINOVIĆ J, PELCER Z, BEZAK K, KREJČI V, KRZNAR A, LINDIĆ V, MEDVEDOVIĆ J, VRBEK B 1983 Prirodni šumski rezervat Čorkova uvala-Čudinka. Rad Šumar Inst 53: 1-44
  18. CESTAR D, HREN V, KOVAČEVIĆ Z, MARTINOVIĆ J, PELCER Z, BEZAK K, KREJČI V, KRZNAR A, LINDIĆ V, MEDVEDOVIĆ J, VRBEK B 1984 Prirodni šumski rezervat Rječica-Javornik. Rad Šumar Inst 58: 41-76
  19. LUKIĆ N, KRUŽIĆ T 1992 Razvoj obične bukve (Fagus sylvytica L.) na trajnoj plohi Medveđak. Sumar list 116 (11-12): 510-513
  20. CESTAR D, HREN V, KOVAČEVIĆ Z, MARTINOVIĆ J, PELCER Z, BEZAK K, KRZNAR A, LINDIĆ V, VRBEK B, KREJČI V 1982 Prirodni šumski rezervat Medveđak. Rad Šumar Inst 50: 1-76
  21. NOVOTNY V, BENKO M, VRBEK B 1999 The development od structural elements of floodplain forests (Genisto elatae-Quercetum roboris Ht. 1938) in Slavonia. Ecology 18 (1): 47-58
  22. MILETIĆ Ž 1950 Osnovi uređivanja prebirne šume, knjiga 1. Beograd
  23. DUBRAVAC T,  NOVOTNY V 1992 Metodologija tematskog područja uzgajanje šuma-rast i prirast (primjenjena u multidisciplinarnom projektu Ekološko ekonomske valencije tipova šuma). Rad Šumar Inst 27 (2): 157-166
  24. NOVOTNY V 1998 Pomak osnovnih sastojinskih elemenata u vremenu između dviju izmjera u zajednici Carpino betuli-Quercetum roboris/Anić 1959/Rauš 1969. Rad Šumar Inst 33 (1): 1-46
  25. BEKIĆ Z, HUNJET D, MILINOVIĆ M, KRZNAR A 1992 Informacijski sustav za praćenje pojava i procesa u ekološko-gospodarskim tipovima šuma Republike Hrvatske. Rad Šumar Inst 27 (2): 195-202
  26. ŠPIRANEC M 1975 Drvnogromadne tablice za hrast, bukvu, ob.grab i pitomi kesten. Rad Šumar Inst 22: 1-262
  27. JURIČEK M 2005 Razvoj šumske vegetacije na trajnim pokusnim plohama NP Plitvička jezera. Diplomski rad, Faculty of forestry, University of Zagreb, p 78
  28. MEŠKOVIĆ E 2007 Taksacioni elementi bukovih sastojina prašumskog tipa na lokalitetu "Mačen do" g.j. "Gostelja Kladanj". Naše šume 10-11: 3-15

© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).